Gilmer County is located in West Virginia and is known for its beautiful natural scenery and rich history. Here are seven interesting facts about Gilmer County’s history:
1. It was named after Thomas Walker Gilmer – Gilmer County was created in 1845 and was named after Thomas Walker Gilmer, who served as the 15th Governor of Virginia from 1840 until his death in 1844. Gilmer was a lawyer, politician, and statesman.
2. It played a role in the Civil War – During the Civil War, Gilmer County was a hotbed of Union and Confederate activity. In 1861, Confederate forces under General Robert E. Lee invaded West Virginia and clashed with Union soldiers in Gilmer County.
3. It is the birthplace of the West Virginia Folklore Society – The West Virginia Folklore Society was founded in Gilmer County in 1915 by a group of scholars and educators who were interested in studying and preserving the state's rich folklore traditions.
4. It was home to the largest gas field in the world in the early 1900s – In the early 1900s, the Little Kanawha oil and gas field in Gilmer County was the largest gas field in the world. The field produced over 100 million cubic feet of natural gas per day at its peak.
5. It has a rich history of moonshine production – During Prohibition, Gilmer County was known for its moonshine production. The rugged terrain of the county made it an ideal location for illegal stills, and local residents became skilled at making and distributing moonshine.
6. It was the site of a devastating flood in 1985 – In 1985, Gilmer County was hit by a major flood caused by heavy rainfall. The flood killed ten people, destroyed over 500 homes, and caused millions of dollars in damage.
7. It is home to several historic landmarks – Gilmer County is home to several historic landmarks, including the restored Glenville State College campus, the historic jail in Glenville, and the Gilmer County Courthouse, which was built in 1885 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Gilmer County’s rich history and natural beauty make it a fascinating place to visit and explore. From its role in the Civil War to its connection to the moonshining industry, Gilmer County has a unique and storied past that continues to inform its present.
← Older Post Newer Post →