Pierce County, located in Washington state, has a rich and vibrant history. Here are seven interesting facts about this historic region:
1. Founded by Franklin Pierce: Pierce County was named after the 14th President of the United States, Franklin Pierce. Pierce served in the White House from 1853 to 1857 and was instrumental in the Gadsden Purchase, which added territory to the southwestern border of the United States.
2. The Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse: Pierce County is known for the infamous Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse, which occurred on November 7, 1940. The bridge had only been open for four months before it collapsed in high winds, leading to the loss of life for a dog named Tubby and significant damage to the bridge.
3. Home to Fort Steilacoom: Pierce County was home to Fort Steilacoom, which was established in 1849 as the first military post in the Puget Sound region. The fort's primary role was to protect the settlers from Native American attacks and played a significant role in the region's early development.
4. Famous residents: Pierce County has been home to many famous residents, including tennis legend Billie Jean King, filmmaker Ryan Coogler, and musician Isaac Brock, the lead singer of Modest Mouse.
5. The Puyallup Fair: Pierce County is home to the Puyallup Fair, one of the largest state fairs in the country. The fair attracts over a million people each year and showcases the region's agriculture, entertainment, and culture.
6. The Tacoma Race Riot: In 1917, Pierce County experienced a race riot in Tacoma that led to the death of several African Americans and the destruction of multiple buildings. The incident highlighted the region's struggle with racial inequality and spurred efforts toward civil rights.
7. Host of the Goodwill Games: In 1990, Pierce County hosted the Goodwill Games, an international multi-sport event created by Ted Turner. The event brought athletes from around the world to compete in Tacoma and Seattle, further highlighting the region's cultural and athletic diversity.
In conclusion, Pierce County is a fascinating region with a rich history and diverse cultural offerings. Visitors and residents alike can explore the region's past and present to gain a deeper understanding of its significance in American history.
← Older Post Newer Post →