Roane County is a historic county located in the US state of West Virginia. This county has a rich history, with several fascinating tales that are waiting to be discovered. Here are some interesting facts about Roane County's past.
1. Roane County was established in 1856 and was named after Spencer Roane, a Virginia judge who opposed ratifying the US Constitution.
2. During the Civil War, Roane County was a divided region, where many of its citizens were Confederate sympathizers. The county also became the site of a significant battle known as the Battle of Bulltown, which took place on October 13, 1863.
3. In the late 19th century, Roane County was a prominent producer of timber, and the Little Kanawha River, which ran through the county, became a significant transport route for the lumber industry.
4. In the early 20th century, the discovery of oil and natural gas in Roane County led to a boom in the local economy. Oil wells covered the county, creating jobs and spurring growth in several industries.
5. The legendary baseball player, Chuck Goggin, originally hails from Roane County. Goggin played as a center fielder for the St. Louis Cardinals and the Boston Braves during the 1940s.
6. During the Great Depression, President Franklin D. Roosevelt created several work relief programs, including the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Many of these programs operated in Roane County, providing employment and assistance to the local community.
7. In recent years, Roane County has become a hotspot for outdoor enthusiasts, thanks to its beautiful scenery and numerous natural attractions. The county's Kanawha State Forest, Cedar Creek State Park, and Appalachian Trail are popular destinations for hikers, bikers, and campers.
In conclusion, Roane County is a fascinating place with a rich history. From its timber and oil industries to its role in the Civil War, this county has seen its fair share of ups and downs. But through it all, Roane County has emerged as one of West Virginia's most exciting destinations, attracting visitors from all over the region.
← Older Post Newer Post →