Beaufort, North Carolina is a beautiful coastal town steeped in history. It has been the site of many significant events that have had a profound impact on the region and the nation as a whole. From deadly pirate attacks to naval battles, here are seven historical events that have taken place near Beaufort.
1. Blackbeard's Final Battle - On November 22, 1718, the infamous pirate Blackbeard was killed in a fierce battle off the coast of Ocracoke Island, just a short distance from Beaufort. His death marked the end of an era in pirate history.
2. The American Revolution - Beaufort played a vital role in the American Revolution as it was used as a base by the British. When the city was captured by the Continental Army in 1778, it served as a supply depot for the army.
3. The Civil War - Beaufort was occupied by Union forces during the Civil War and was a key location for their blockade of Southern ports. It was also the site of the Battle of Newport Barracks, which occurred in March 1865.
4. The Battle of Beaufort - In 1782, the British fleet attacked Beaufort in an attempt to seize the town. However, the British were repelled by the Continental Army and the local militia, which led to a significant victory for the American forces.
5. The Great Fire of Beaufort - On May 13, 1907, a devastating fire swept through Beaufort's downtown area, destroying the majority of the buildings. The fire was so intense that it could be seen from miles away and was one of the worst the city has ever seen.
6. The Wright Brothers - Beaufort served as the takeoff point for the Wright Brothers' flight to Kitty Hawk in 1903. The brothers used the city's pier as the starting ramp for their first flight, which lasted just 12 seconds.
7. Hurricane Florence - In September 2018, Hurricane Florence made landfall near Beaufort, causing significant damage throughout the area. The storm brought widespread flooding and wind damage, causing millions of dollars in damages.
In conclusion, Beaufort, North Carolina, is a town rich in history, with significant events that have shaped the course of the region, the state, and even the country. From pirate battles to hurricanes, Beaufort has seen it all and continues to thrive today.
- Tags: NC