Benson, Minnesota is a small town located in Swift County. While it may seem like a peaceful and quiet place with not much history, this couldn't be further from the truth. Benson has been there for quite a while, and there have been several historically significant events that have occurred in and around the town.
1. Sioux Uprising - In 1862, the Sioux Uprising began in Minnesota. Benson was less than 40 miles from the epicenter of the conflict. This was a significant event in Minnesota's history, as it led to the exiling of many Native Americans from the state.
2. The Great Hinckley Fire - In 1894, the Great Hinckley Fire broke out. This fire was one of the deadliest in American history and took place only 150 miles from Benson. It claimed the lives of over 400 people and destroyed the town of Hinckley.
3. Swift County Fair - The Swift County Fair began in 1896 and, since then, has been a significant annual event for Benson and the surrounding towns. The fair provides a showcase for agriculture and industry, and it has continued to be a highlight for the community.
4. The Creation of Glacial Lakes State Park - Glacial Lakes State Park was created in 1963 and is located just 10 miles west of Benson. This park features a variety of outdoor recreational opportunities, including camping, hiking, biking, and fishing.
5. The Death of George Floyd - In May 2020, the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police officers sparked protests across the US. Benson was no exception, as several rallies and marches took place in response to Floyd's death.
6. The Raid on the First National Bank - In 1931, the First National Bank in Benson was robbed by the infamous gangster, John Dillinger, and his accomplices. The robbery was a significant event in the town's history and has been the subject of several books and movies.
7. The Naming of Benson - The town of Benson was named after Judge E.O. Benson, who was instrumental in the town's founding. Judge Benson served as a district judge in Minnesota and was a significant figure in the state's history.
In conclusion, Benson, Minnesota may be a small town, but there is a rich history to discover. From the Sioux Uprising to the modern-day protests in response to George Floyd's death, Benson has seen its fair share of significant events. These events and moments have helped shape Benson into the vibrant community that it is today.
- Tags: MN