Block Island, located off the coast of Rhode Island, has a long and storied history dating back thousands of years. From the arrival of the first Native Americans to the island to modern-day events, here are seven notable historical moments that have taken place near Block Island.
1. The arrival of the Mohegan tribe. The first recorded inhabitants of Block Island were the Mohegan tribe, who arrived on the island around 1000 AD. The Mohegan people were skilled fishermen and hunters, and they used the island as a seasonal fishing and hunting camp.
2. The arrival of European explorers. In 1614, Dutch explorer Adriaen Block sailed past the island and named it after himself. Over the next few decades, European explorers and traders frequently visited Block Island to trade with the Native American population.
3. The British raid on the island. During the American Revolution, Block Island was raided by British troops who were seeking to disrupt American commerce. The raid resulted in the destruction of many homes and businesses on the island.
4. The rise of the whaling industry. In the 18th and 19th centuries, Block Island was a hub for the whaling industry. Many whaling ships left from the island's harbor to hunt whales in nearby waters, and whale oil was a major source of income for the island.
5. The sinking of the steamer SS Larchmont. In 1907, the steamer SS Larchmont sank off the coast of Block Island, resulting in the deaths of over 100 passengers and crew members. The wreck is still considered one of the worst maritime disasters in New England history.
6. The establishment of a Navy base. During World War II, the United States Navy established a base on Block Island to protect shipping lanes in the area. The base was used to train sailors in anti-submarine warfare and operated until the end of the war.
7. The construction of the Block Island Wind Farm. In 2016, the Block Island Wind Farm became the first offshore wind farm in the United States. The wind farm consists of five wind turbines and can generate enough electricity to power 17,000 homes.
These seven historical events are just a few of the many important moments that have taken place near Block Island. Today, the island remains a popular tourist destination that is known for its natural beauty, outdoor activities, and rich history.
7 Pieces Of History Near Block Island, RI
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →