Broomfield, Colorado may not be as well-known as other historic cities in the United States, but this city has seen its fair share of important events throughout history. From the discovery of gold to the construction of a major highway system, here are 7 historical events that have taken place near Broomfield, CO.
1. Discovery of Gold in Colorado: In 1858, gold was discovered in Colorado, sparking a gold rush in the region. Broomfield, which was then part of the Nebraska Territory, was located near the goldfields and became a major hub for miners and traders.
2. Founding of Broomfield: In 1877, the town of Broomfield was founded by a group of Presbyterian settlers who were looking for fertile land to farm. The town was named after James Broomfield, a prominent landowner and businessman in the area.
3. The Colorado Fuel and Iron Company Strike: In 1910, workers at the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company went on strike to protest low wages and poor working conditions. The strike, which lasted for several months, turned violent when the National Guard was called in to break it up, resulting in several fatalities.
4. The Building of U.S. Route 36: U.S. Route 36, which runs from Rocky Mountain National Park to Kansas, was constructed in the 1930s and 1940s. The highway runs through Broomfield and helped to connect the city to other major cities in the region.
5. Broomfield becomes a City and County: In 2001, Broomfield became a city and county after residents voted to split from both Boulder and Adams counties. Broomfield became the smallest county in the United States at the time of its creation.
6. The Colorado Wildfires: In 2010, two wildfires broke out near Broomfield, destroying several homes and forcing the evacuation of thousands of residents. The fires were sparked by lightning strikes and were some of the worst in Colorado's history.
7. The Construction of the Flatiron Crossing Mall: In 2000, the Flatiron Crossing Mall was constructed in Broomfield, becoming one of the largest shopping centers in the region. The mall was designed with sustainability in mind, featuring a green roof and solar panels.
These events have helped shape the history and culture of Broomfield, Colorado. The city continues to grow and change, but its past remains an important part of its identity.
- Tags: CO