Capua, CE is a city located in the Campania region of Italy, just north of Naples. It has a rich history that dates back over 2,500 years, during which it has played a significant role in many historic events. Here are 7 of the most notable.
1. Battle of Capua (215 BC) - During the Second Punic War, the city of Capua sided with Carthage against Rome. In 215 BC, the two armies clashed outside the city walls in what became known as the Battle of Capua. Despite being outnumbered, the Romans emerged victorious and went on to conquer the city.
2. Spartacus Revolt (73 BC) - The famous gladiator Spartacus led a rebellion against the Roman Republic in 73 BC. One of the pivotal battles of the war took place near Capua, where Spartacus defeated the Roman forces led by Lucius Gellius Publicola.
3. Siege of Capua (554 AD) - During the Gothic War, the Byzantine army led by General Narses laid siege to Capua, which was held by the Goths. The city fell after a long and bloody siege, marking a turning point in the war.
4. Battle of Garigliano (1503) - This battle was fought during the Italian Wars between the French and Spanish armies. The French, led by King Louis XII, attempted to cross the Garigliano River near Capua. However, they were repelled by a Spanish force led by Gonzalo de Córdoba.
5. Battle of Casilinum (554 AD) - Another important battle of the Gothic War, the Battle of Casilinum was fought near Capua between the Byzantine and Gothic forces. The Goths were defeated, allowing Byzantine forces to move further north.
6. Siege of Capua (314 AD) - During the Roman Empire, Capua was the site of an important battle between Emperor Maxentius and Emperor Constantine. The city was under siege for several months before Maxentius was defeated and killed.
7. World War II (1943) - In 1943, Allied forces invaded Italy and began their advance towards Rome. Capua was one of the first cities to be liberated from German occupation, with the Allies entering the city on October 1, 1943.
These 7 events are just a small sample of the rich history surrounding Capua, CE. From ancient battles to modern warfare, the city has been at the center of many important events throughout history. Today, visitors can explore the ruins of ancient structures, learn about the city's role in these historic events, and enjoy the sights and sounds of this vibrant Italian city.
- Tags: CE