Located just 20 miles southeast of Manhattan, Cedarhurst, NY has a rich history that dates back centuries. This small village, nestled in the heart of Nassau County, has been the site of many important historical events. Here are 7 of the most significant:
1. The Battle of Long Island – The Battle of Long Island, also known as the Battle of Brooklyn, was fought on August 27, 1776 during the American Revolutionary War. A key portion of the battle, known as the Gowanus Creek Battle, took place near present-day Cedarhurst. This battle saw General George Washington's forces make a strategic retreat towards Harlem, effectively keeping the Continental Army in the war.
2. The Congregation Sons of Israel – Established in 1904, the Congregation Sons of Israel is one of the oldest synagogues in the area. It has been a key community center for Cedarhurst's Jewish population and played a vital role in the early development of the village.
3. The Camp Upton Army Base – In the early 1900s, Camp Upton was a large Army base located just a few miles from Cedarhurst. During World War I, it served as one of the main training facilities for American soldiers. Decades later, during World War II, the base was reactivated and used as a major departure point for American troops headed overseas.
4. The Hurricane of 1938 – One of the most devastating hurricanes in American history, the Hurricane of 1938 caused widespread destruction throughout the Northeast. In Cedarhurst, homes and businesses were destroyed, roads were washed out, and the Long Island Rail Road was shut down for weeks.
5. The Formation of the Cedarhurst Fire Department – The Cedarhurst Fire Department was formed in 1908 in response to a major fire that destroyed much of the downtown area. Over the years, the department has grown and expanded and continues to be an important part of the community.
6. The Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation – Founded in 1929, the Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation played a crucial role in the development of the American aircraft industry. With facilities spread throughout Long Island, including Hicksville, this aerospace and defense company was at the forefront of many important technological advancements.
7. The September 11 Attacks – On September 11, 2001, the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center had a profound impact on Cedarhurst and the surrounding area. Many residents lost loved ones or knew people who were directly affected by the tragedy, and the attacks marked a major turning point in American history.
These seven events are just a few examples of the rich history and tradition that have shaped Cedarhurst and the surrounding area. Today, the village continues to be a vibrant community, home to many businesses, schools, and cultural landmarks.
- Tags: NY