Commerce, TX, is a small town situated in the northeastern region of Texas. Though it may seem like an unassuming town, it has a rich history that dates back many years. Here are seven historical events that have taken place near Commerce, TX.
1. Founding of Commerce, TX: The town of Commerce was founded in 1872, and it owes its existence to the construction of the rail line that passed through the area. The town was founded on land donated by two local farm families, and it quickly became a center of commerce for the surrounding area.
2. Civil War: Texas was a Confederate state during the Civil War, and the region around Commerce was no exception. In 1864, a Union raiding party attacked the nearby town of Pilot Grove, TX, burning many of the buildings to the ground.
3. Jesse James: The infamous outlaw Jesse James is said to have frequented the area around Commerce. Legend has it that he and his gang once stayed at a local hotel called the Boles Inn, which still stands today.
4. World War II: In the years leading up to World War II, the Commerce area was home to a military training base known as Camp Maxey. The base was used to train infantry soldiers, and it was later used as a prisoner-of-war camp.
5. Bonnie and Clyde: Another famous outlaw duo, Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, were known to have operated in the area around Commerce. They were rumored to have stolen a car from a local dealership, and a shootout with police took place near the town in 1933.
6. Railroad Development: The railroad has been a vital part of Commerce's history, and it continued to shape the town's growth and development in the early 20th century. In 1902, the original train station was replaced by a larger, more ornate building, which still stands in the town today.
7. Texas A&M University-Commerce: Commerce is home to Texas A&M University-Commerce, which was originally established in 1889 as East Texas Normal College. Over the years, the college has grown and evolved, becoming a cornerstone of the education community in northeastern Texas.
In conclusion, Commerce, TX, is a town with a rich history that spans many years. From its founding to its present-day status as a college town, there have been many events that have shaped the town and the surrounding area. Whether you're interested in the Civil War, outlaw legends, or the development of the railway, Commerce has something to offer to history buffs and curious travelers alike.
- Tags: TX