Corsicana, TX is a small town located in Navarro County, Texas. Despite its small size, Corsicana has been a witness to several historical events that have shaped Texas and the United States as a whole. From the discovery of natural resources to the birth of legends, here are seven historical events that have taken place near Corsicana, TX.
1. Discovery of the Corsicana Oilfield: The discovery of the Corsicana Oilfield in 1894 marked the beginning of Texas' oil boom. This oilfield became one of the largest oil fields in the United States and produced over 85 million barrels of oil before it was abandoned in 1920.
2. The Capture of John Wesley Hardin: One of the most infamous outlaws in the Old West, John Wesley Hardin, was captured in Corsicana in 1877. Hardin had been on the run for nearly a decade before he was caught by law enforcement just outside of town.
3. Baylor University Founded: Although Baylor University is now located in Waco, TX, it was originally founded in Independence, TX, just a short distance from Corsicana. The university was established in 1845 and moved to Waco in 1886.
4. Civil War Battle of Fort Parker: On May 19, 1864, Union soldiers clashed with Confederate forces near Fort Parker, located just outside of Corsicana. The battle resulted in a Confederate victory and led to the capture of several Union soldiers.
5. Birth of Lefty Frizzell: William Orville "Lefty" Frizzell was born in Corsicana on March 31, 1928. He became one of the most influential singers in country music history, with hits such as "If You've Got the Money, I've Got the Time" and "Always Late (With Your Kisses)."
6. Corsicana Train Wreck: On August 9, 1956, a train carrying military weapons and ammunition exploded in Corsicana, killing four people and injuring dozens more. The explosion damaged several buildings in the downtown area and caused widespread panic.
7. Lynching of Sam Hose: In 1899, Sam Hose was accused of murdering a white man and attacking his wife near Palmetto, GA. Hose was captured in Corsicana and returned to Georgia, where he was publicly lynched by a mob of white citizens.
These seven historical events are just a small sample of the rich history that surrounds Corsicana, TX. From oil to outlaws, this small town has played a significant role in the development of Texas and the United States as a whole.
- Tags: TX