Cyberjaya is a rapidly developing city in Malaysia, located about 30km from Kuala Lumpur. It is known as the Silicon Valley of Malaysia due to its emphasis on technology and innovation. The city is not only a hub for modern technological inventions, but has a rich history. Here are 7 pivotal events that took place in or near Cyberjaya:
1. The Battle of Sungai Besi: This was a battle fought between the British and the Japanese during World War II. Cyberjaya is located near the site of the battle and was a key factor in the outcome of the war. The Japanese army attempted to take over Kuala Lumpur from the north, but the British used the Sungai Besi road to outflank them and eventually won the battle.
2. The Dengkil Massacre: During the Malayan Emergency in the 1940s and 1950s, the Communist Party of Malaya fought for independence against British rule. In 1948, a band of communists killed 11 people in Dengkil, a small town near Cyberjaya. This event is considered a pivotal moment in the Malayan Emergency.
3. The Opening of the Kuala Lumpur International Airport: In 1998, the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) was opened, which is located near Cyberjaya. It was considered a major milestone in Malaysia's development, as it helped to position the country as a regional business hub.
4. The Construction of the Putrajaya Administrative Centre: Putrajaya, the federal administrative centre of Malaysia, is situated just next to Cyberjaya. It was designed to be a planned city, and construction began in the late 1990s. The project was completed in 2003, and it has now become a major tourist destination.
5. The Launch of the MSC Malaysia Programme: The Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) initiative was launched in 1996 as a joint initiative between the Malaysian government and the private sector. Its objective was to create an environment for the growth of the information and communications technology industry, and Cyberjaya quickly became the hub for the MSC initiative.
6. The World Youth Day Gatherings: In 2008, Kuala Lumpur hosted the World Youth Day (WYD) gatherings, which is considered one of the largest Catholic youth events in the world. Cyberjaya was one of the main venues for the events, which included mass gatherings, concerts and religious events.
7. The Establishment of the Cyberjaya University College of Medical Sciences: In 2005, the Cyberjaya University College of Medical Sciences (CUCMS) was established, an institution that emphasizes the use of technology in medical research and education. The school is now considered to be a leading institution for healthcare education in Malaysia and the Southeast Asian region.
In conclusion, Cyberjaya is not only a city of the present and future but has a rich history with events that have shaped Malaysia in many ways. From World War II to the modern tech and healthcare industries, Cyberjaya and the surrounding areas have seen a diverse range of significant events throughout history.
- Tags: MY