Fall River, Massachusetts is a city with a rich history. Throughout the years, there have been plenty of important events that have taken place in this area. From colonial battles to industrial innovations, the history of Fall River is fascinating. Here are 7 historical events that have taken place near Fall River, MA.
1. Battle of Freetown - During the American Revolution, a group of British soldiers attacked the town of Freetown, which is just outside of Fall River. Local militia members were able to fight off the British, who eventually retreated back to New York.
2. Construction of the Fall River Line - In the 1800s, the Fall River Line was a popular transportation route that connected Boston and New York City. The line consisted of several luxury steamships that were used to transport wealthy passengers between the two cities.
3. Lizzie Borden Murders - Perhaps the most infamous event in Fall River's history occurred in 1892, when Lizzie Borden was accused of axing her parents to death in their home. The trial was highly publicized and continues to be the subject of fascination to this day.
4. The Great Fire of 1928 - In July of 1928, a massive fire broke out in downtown Fall River, destroying numerous buildings and leaving many people homeless. The cause of the fire is still unknown, but it is believed to have started in a furniture store.
5. Construction of Battleship Cove - During World War II, Fall River played an important role in the manufacturing of battleships. In 1972, Battleship Cove was opened as a museum to honor these ships and the people who worked on them.
6. Arrival of Portuguese Immigrants - In the early-to-mid 20th century, Fall River saw a large influx of Portuguese immigrants. They came to the area to work in the textile mills and ended up forming a tight-knit community that still exists today.
7. Restoration of the Lizzie Borden House - In recent years, the Lizzie Borden House has been restored and turned into a popular bed and breakfast. Visitors can stay in the same rooms where the murders took place and learn about the history of the case.
Fall River has a long and fascinating history that is worth exploring. From battles to murders to industrial advancements, this area has seen it all. Whether you're a history buff or just looking for a new place to explore, Fall River is a great destination.
- Tags: MA