Felton, California is a small town located in the Santa Cruz Mountains that has a rich and unique history. From important infrastructure projects to significant religious events, here are seven of the most significant historical events that have occurred near Felton, CA.
1. The Construction of the San Lorenzo Reservoir: This important infrastructure project was completed in 1949 and was designed to provide a reliable source of water for the surrounding communities. The reservoir is located just a few miles south of Felton and is managed by the San Lorenzo Valley Water District.
2. The Founding of Roaring Camp Railroads: Roaring Camp Railroads was founded in the early 1960s and quickly became one of the top tourist attractions in the Santa Cruz Mountains. The railroad offers scenic rides through the mountains and is a popular destination for families and history buffs alike.
3. The Creation of Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park: Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park was established in 1954 and is named after the famous lumber tycoon who once owned much of the land in the area. The park protects over 4,650 acres of redwood forest and is home to a number of rare and endangered species.
4. The Discovery of the Bigfoot Hoax: In 1958, a group of men claimed to have found evidence of Bigfoot near Felton. However, it was later revealed that the entire incident was a hoax and that the footprints had been created using carved wooden feet.
5. The Establishment of the Mount Hermon Christian Conference Center: The Mount Hermon Christian Conference Center was founded in 1906 and is located just outside of Felton. The center has hosted a number of important religious events and is still in operation today.
6. The Founding of Felton Catholic Church: The Felton Catholic Church was founded in 1879 and is one of the oldest churches in the area. The church played an important role in the development of the local Catholic community and is still an important part of the town's history.
7. The Loma Prieta Earthquake: In 1989, a devastating earthquake struck the Bay Area, causing widespread damage and loss of life. Felton was not directly impacted by the earthquake, but many local residents were affected by the aftermath and played an important role in the recovery effort.
Overall, Felton, California has a rich and diverse history that includes everything from infrastructure projects to religious events and natural disasters. By studying these historical events, we can gain a better understanding of the local community and how it has evolved over time.
- Tags: CA