Fulshear, Texas is a small town located just west of Houston. Though the town itself may not be widely known for its history, the surrounding area has seen its fair share of notable events over the years.
Here are seven historical events that have taken place near Fulshear, Texas:
1. Battle of San Jacinto - On April 21, 1836, the decisive battle of the Texas Revolution was fought at San Jacinto, just a few miles east of present-day Fulshear. Led by General Sam Houston, the Texan army defeated a much larger Mexican force, effectively securing Texas independence.
2. Richmond-Katy Railroad - In the late 1800s, the Richmond-Katy Railroad was built through what is now Fulshear. The railway provided much-needed transportation for the surrounding communities and helped spur the development of the area.
3. Oil Discovery - In 1916, oil was discovered near the town of Katy, just a few miles north of Fulshear. This led to a boom in oil production in the area, which helped fuel the growth of Houston and the surrounding region.
4. Gulf Coast Hurricanes - Over the years, the Gulf Coast has been hit by numerous devastating hurricanes. In 1900, the Great Galveston Hurricane killed an estimated 6,000 people and caused widespread destruction throughout the region. In more recent years, Hurricane Harvey caused major flooding in the Houston area in 2017.
5. Space Shuttle Columbia Disaster - In 2003, the Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated during re-entry, killing all seven crew members on board. Debris from the shuttle fell over a wide area, including parts of Fulshear and the surrounding region.
6. Fort Bend County Courthouse Fire - The Fort Bend County Courthouse, located in Richmond just a few miles east of Fulshear, was destroyed by fire in 1883. The courthouse was later rebuilt and still stands today as a local landmark.
7. Civil War - Though Fulshear itself was not directly involved in the Civil War, the surrounding area saw skirmishes and battles throughout the conflict. The nearby town of Richmond was occupied by Union forces for much of the war, and the Battle of Brazos River took place nearby in 1863.
These are just a few of the many historical events that have taken place near Fulshear, Texas. From the struggle for Texas independence to the devastation of hurricanes and the triumphs of human space exploration, the region has seen a wide range of important events over the years. Though the town itself may be small, its place in the larger history of the United States is significant.
- Tags: TX