Garrison, TX is a small town located in the heart of the East Texas Piney Woods. It has a rich history that dates back to the early nineteenth century. Over the years, there have been several important historical events that have taken place near this town. This article explores seven significant historical events that have taken place near Garrison.
1. First Baptist Church Garrison: Established in 1848, the First Baptist Church of Garrison has played a vital role in the spiritual life of the community. In the early days, the church was used as a school and a meeting place for the community. Today, it serves as a reminder of the town's religious heritage.
2. Battle of Nacogdoches: In 1832, a group of Texans led by William Barrett Travis and Sam Houston declared war on Mexico. The Battle of Nacogdoches was fought near Garrison, with the Texans winning an important victory.
3. The Texas Revolution: The Texas Revolution was a political and military event that occurred in 1835-1836. It was a series of conflicts between the Mexican government and Texas colonists. The Battle of San Jacinto, which led to Texas' independence from Mexico, was fought just a few miles from Garrison.
4. The Civil War: During the Civil War, East Texas was a hotbed of activity. Union and Confederate troops frequently clashed in the region, and Garrisons played a significant role in these skirmishes. In 1865, the Confederate Army surrendered at nearby Kingston, marking the end of the Civil War.
5. Stephen F. Austin State University: In 1923, the Texas Legislature established Stephen F. Austin State University in the nearby town of Nacogdoches. The university has played a significant role in the education of East Texas students and has helped to shape the cultural and economic landscape of the region.
6. Hurricane Harvey: In August 2017, Hurricane Harvey made landfall near the Texas coast. The storm caused severe flooding in several parts of East Texas, including Garrison. The storm caused significant damage to homes, businesses, and infrastructure in the area.
7. The East Texas Oil Boom: In the early 20th century, oil was discovered in nearby towns such as Henderson and Kilgore. The discovery led to a massive oil boom in the region, transforming the rural landscape into a bustling petroleum industry. The oil industry has continued to be a major economic force in the area, generating jobs and wealth for the local community.
In conclusion, Garrison, TX, has a rich and diverse history that reflects the broader history of Texas and the United States. From the Texas Revolution to Hurricane Harvey, the town has played a significant role in many historical events, and its history continues to shape the town's present and future.
- Tags: TX