Harvard, Nebraska, may be a small town in the heart of the Midwest, but it has played witness to a number of notable historical events throughout its history. Here are seven such events that put Harvard on the historical map.
1. Opening of Harvard State Bank (1902): The establishment of the Harvard State Bank in 1902 was a major event in the town's history, as it not only provided much-needed financial services to the community but also helped to spur economic development in the area.
2. Construction of the Harvard Softball Park (1914): The Harvard Softball Park, which was built in 1914, quickly became a focal point for the town's social life. It hosted countless games, tournaments and events over the years, bringing the community together around a shared love of sports.
3. The Great Depression (1929-1939): Harvard was hit hard by the Great Depression, as many of the town's residents struggled to make ends meet during this troubled time. The town persevered, however, and emerged stronger than ever on the other side of this difficult period.
4. Establishment of Harvard Public Library (1939): In the midst of the Depression, the Harvard Public Library was established in 1939. This institution has been a cornerstone of the town's cultural life ever since, providing residents with access to countless books and resources over the years.
5. Construction of Highway 6 (1945): The construction of Highway 6 through Harvard in 1945 was a major milestone for the town, as it greatly enhanced transportation and commerce in the area.
6. Vietnam War (1955-1975): Many of Harvard's young men served in the military during the Vietnam War, and several lost their lives in the conflict. This period had a profound impact on the town and its community.
7. Creation of the Harvard Historical Society (1978): In 1978, the Harvard Historical Society was established to preserve and celebrate the town's rich history. This organization has played an important role in ensuring that the stories and memories of Harvard's past are not lost to time.
Taken together, these events paint a vivid picture of this small but significant Midwestern town. From economic development to cultural institutions and wartime sacrifice, Harvard has experienced a wide range of historical moments over the years, each of which has helped to shape the town into the vibrant community it is today.
- Tags: NE