Hastings, Michigan is a quaint rural town that has been an important part of Michigan's history. Here are 7 historical events that have taken place near Hastings, MI.
1) The founding of Hastings: Founded in 1836, Hastings was named after the first white woman to settle in the area, Almyra Fales. The town grew quickly due to its location on the Thornapple River, which provided a source of water power for mills and factories.
2) The Civil War: During the Civil War, Hastings sent soldiers to fight for both the Union and the Confederacy. Many of these soldiers were wounded or killed during battles such as Gettysburg and Shiloh.
3) The Great Chicago Fire: On October 8th, 1871, the Great Chicago Fire began. As the fire spread, many people fled the city in search of safety. Some ended up in Hastings, which became a temporary home for many displaced Chicagoans.
4) The Barry County Fair: The Barry County Fair has been held annually in Hastings since 1859. This event has become an important tradition in the community and is a great opportunity for residents to showcase their talents and skills.
5) The Hastings Tornado: On April 3rd, 1956, a devastating tornado struck Hastings. The tornado destroyed homes, businesses, and schools, causing millions of dollars in damages. Despite the devastation, the community came together to rebuild and create a stronger, more resilient Hastings.
6) The Prohibition Era: During the Prohibition era, Hastings was home to several bootleggers who sold illegal alcohol to residents and visitors alike. Many of these bootleggers were eventually caught and sentenced to prison.
7) The Thornapple River Floods: The Thornapple River has flooded several times throughout history, causing significant damage to the town. One of the most severe floods occurred in 1976, when the river reached a record high of over 18 feet. Despite the damage, the community again banded together to rebuild and recover.
These are just a few of the many historical events that have taken place near Hastings, MI. Each of these events has helped to shape the town and its residents in unique ways, creating a rich and vibrant history that is worth exploring.
- Tags: MI