Hastings, Nebraska is a small, but important city in America's heartland. Over the centuries, numerous historical events have taken place in and around Hastings. From battles to natural disasters, here are seven of the most significant historical events to take place near Hastings.
1. Pony Express Station - In the 19th century, the Pony Express was a vital part of mail delivery throughout the Western United States. One of the stations along the route was located in Hastings, where riders could rest and change horses.
2. Battle of Hastings - In 1864, a battle during the American Civil War took place near Hastings that resulted in a Union victory. Confederate troops led by Major General Sterling Price were attempting to disrupt Union control of the Missouri River. The battle lasted for several hours and involved thousands of soldiers.
3. Hastings College's Founding - In 1882, Hastings College was founded in the city. The college has since become a major educational institution in Nebraska, offering a range of undergraduate and graduate programs.
4. The Great Cyclone of 1890 - On Easter Sunday in 1890, a severe tornado swept through Hastings, causing significant damage to the city. The cyclone killed 13 people and injured dozens more.
5. The Hastings Army Airfield - During World War II, the Hastings Army Airfield was built to train pilots and aircrew for the United States military. The airfield hosted a range of planes, from B-17 bombers to P-51 Mustang fighters.
6. Heartland of America Park - Located in nearby Omaha, Heartland of America Park was built to commemorate the Bicentennial of the United States. The park includes a large fountain and a replica of the Statue of Liberty.
7. The Adams County Fair - Since its first iteration in 1876, the Adams County Fair has been an annual event in Hastings. The week-long festival features livestock shows, carnival rides, and a range of other activities for people of all ages.
These events have made a significant impact on Hastings and the surrounding area. From military battles to weather disasters, the history of this small city reflects the larger story of the American Midwest.
- Tags: NE