The town of Highland, NC is steeped in history, with a number of significant events having taken place in the area over the years. From battles to natural disasters, here are seven of the most notable historical happenings near Highland.
1. The Cherokee Wars - Highland is located in what was once Cherokee territory, and several wars were fought between the Cherokee and European settlers in the 1700s. The most well-known of these is the Cherokee War of 1760, which saw British troops clash with Cherokee warriors in the nearby Oconaluftee River valley.
2. The Trail of Tears - After the Indian Removal Act of 1830, many Cherokee were forced to leave their homeland and move west of the Mississippi River. This journey, known as the Trail of Tears, passed through the area that is now Highland. Today, a monument stands in nearby Cherokee, NC to honor those who suffered on the trail.
3. The Civil War - While Highland itself was largely unaffected by the Civil War, there were several significant battles and skirmishes fought in the area, particularly in nearby Tennessee. The Battle of Fort Sanders, fought in Knoxville, is one of the most well-known of these.
4. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Highland is just a few miles from the entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, which was established in 1934. The park is home to a wide variety of wildlife, as well as some of the most stunning scenery in the eastern United States.
5. Hurricanes and Natural Disasters - Highland has seen its fair share of natural disasters over the years, including several hurricanes that have caused widespread flooding and damage. In 2004, Hurricane Ivan caused significant damage to the area, leading to a major cleanup effort.
6. The Civil Rights Movement - While Highland is not known for its role in the Civil Rights Movement, nearby Asheville, NC was a key location in the struggle for racial equality. The city was home to several significant protests and demonstrations, and played a critical role in shaping the movement in the South.
7. The founding of Highland - While not as well-known as some of the other events on this list, the founding of Highland itself is a significant event in the area's history. The town was established in the late 19th century as a center for logging and farming, and has since grown into a vibrant community that attracts tourists and residents from around the world.
In conclusion, Highland, NC is a town with a rich and complex history, spanning centuries of conflict, natural disasters, and cultural change. Whether you're interested in exploring the area's Native American heritage or learning more about its role in the Civil War, there is much to discover in this small, but storied town.
- Tags: NC