Hopkinsville, Kentucky, is a small town with a rich history. Despite its size, the town has seen its share of important historical events throughout the years. Here are seven significant events that took place near Hopkinsville.
1. Battle of Hopkinsville: During the Civil War, Hopkinsville was a key location in the ongoing conflict. On August 21, 1862, Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest led a surprise attack on Union troops stationed in Hopkinsville.
2. Pegram's Raid: In December of 1864, Confederate General John Pegram led a raid on Union positions in western Kentucky. The raid ended in a skirmish near Hopkinsville, with the Confederates ultimately being forced to retreat.
3. Solar Eclipse of 2017: On August 21, 2017, Hopkinsville was one of the best places in the United States to view a total solar eclipse. The event drew thousands of visitors to the town, making it a major tourist destination for the day.
4. Hurricane Maria: In September of 2017, Hurricane Maria caused widespread devastation in Puerto Rico and other parts of the Caribbean. Many Puerto Rican evacuees fled to Hopkinsville, where the town welcomed them with open arms.
5. Black Patch War: In the late 1800s, a conflict known as the Black Patch War broke out between tobacco farmers and the American Tobacco Company. The war came to a head in Hopkinsville in 1908, when several tobacco warehouses were burned down.
6. Trail of Tears: In 1838, thousands of Cherokee Indians were forced to leave their homes in Georgia and other southern states and move west to present-day Oklahoma. One of the routes taken by the Cherokee, known as the Trail of Tears, passed through the Hopkinsville area.
7. Birthplace of Jefferson Davis: Although not technically near Hopkinsville, just over an hour away in Fairview, Kentucky, is the birthplace of Confederate President Jefferson Davis. The Davis family lived in the area for many years, and the birthplace is now a popular tourist attraction.
As you can see, Hopkinsville and the surrounding area have played host to a wide range of historical events. From battles and raids to natural disasters and cultural landmarks, this small town has seen it all. Whether you're a history buff or just interested in learning more about the area, there's plenty to discover in Hopkinsville.
- Tags: KY