Located in the state of Tennessee, Houston is a small but historically rich town. Despite its small size, the town has seen its fair share of significant events over the course of history. Here are seven important historical events that have taken place near Houston.
1. The Battle of Parker's Crossroads: The Battle of Parker's Crossroads was fought on December 31, 1862, and January 1, 1863, during the Civil War. The battle was fought between Confederate and Union forces and was a significant victory for the Union.
2. The Battle of Shiloh: Another major battle of the Civil War took place near Houston, in the town of Shiloh. The two-day battle fought in April 1862 is known as one of the bloodiest of the war and resulted in over 20,000 casualties.
3. The Trail of Tears: In the 1830s, Houston was part of the Cherokee Nation, and in 1838, the town witnessed a tragic event known as the Trail of Tears. Thousands of Cherokees were forcibly removed from their homes and forced to march to Oklahoma in a journey that became known as the Trail of Tears due to the large number of deaths along the way.
4. The Discovery of Oil: In the early 20th century, the Houston area saw significant growth thanks to the discovery of oil. The town became a hub for oil production and distribution, leading to a boom in the local economy.
5. The Formation of the National Park Service: In 1916, the National Park Service was established as part of the Department of the Interior. One of the first national parks, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, is located just a short drive from Houston.
6. The Civil Rights Movement: The Civil Rights Movement brought significant change to the Houston area, with notable events such as the Memphis sanitation strike and the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. taking place nearby.
7. The Creation of Chickasaw State Park: In 1955, Chickasaw State Park was established in nearby Henderson County as a way to protect the natural beauty of the area. The park is now a popular destination for camping, hiking, and fishing.
In conclusion, Houston and the surrounding areas have witnessed several significant events throughout history. From Civil War battles to the discovery of oil, the town has played a role in shaping Tennessee's history. With its rich history and natural beauty, Houston is a worthy destination for those with an interest in Tennessee's past.
- Tags: TN