Hubbard, Texas may be a small town, but it's steeped in rich history. From Civil War battles to oil discoveries, the area surrounding Hubbard has seen its share of significant historical events. Here are seven noteworthy events that have taken place in or around Hubbard:
1. Battle of Hubbard City - On September 29, 1864, the Battle of Hubbard City was fought during the Civil War. About 25 miles southeast of Hubbard, Union troops attacked a Confederate train carrying supplies and soldiers. The Confederates successfully defended the train, but Union troops continued to harass Confederate supply lines in the area for several more weeks.
2. The Italian migration - In the early 1900s, a significant number of Italian immigrants settled in Hubbard and the surrounding area. They came to work in the local brick-making factories, and their presence helped shape the town's culture and cuisine. Hubbard still celebrates its Italian heritage today with an annual Italian festival.
3. Discovery of the Corsicana oil field - In 1894, the Corsicana oil field was discovered just 20 miles northeast of Hubbard. The discovery of oil transformed the region and led to the development of several oil towns, including Hubbard.
4. Bonnie and Clyde robbery - On December 23, 1932, infamous bank robbers Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow robbed the First National Bank in Hubbard. They made off with $17,000 in cash and securities. This was just one of many robberies committed by the notorious duo.
5. Hubbard tornado - On May 6, 1930, a tornado tore through Hubbard, killing 32 people and destroying much of the town. The tornado is still one of the deadliest in Texas history.
6. Chisholm Trail - The Chisholm Trail, a major cattle-driving route from Texas to Kansas, passed through the area near Hubbard. The trail was used from the late 1860s to the 1880s and was instrumental in the development of the Texas cattle industry.
7. Navarro College - Founded in 1946, Navarro College has been an important educational institution for the area. The community college offers two-year degrees and technical programs and has helped train generations of workers for local industries.
Hubbard may be a small town, but it has played a significant role in Texas history. From Civil War battles to oil discoveries, the area has seen its fair share of important events. By remembering and celebrating these events, we can gain a better appreciation for the town's rich history and heritage.
- Tags: TX