Jacksonville, NC is a city that is rich in history. Over the years, many significant events have taken place in and around the city. Here are seven historical events that have taken place near Jacksonville, NC.
1. Battle of New Bern: During the Civil War, the Battle of New Bern was fought on March 14, 1862, near present-day New Bern. The battle was fought between Confederate and Union forces, with the Union emerging victorious.
2. Camp Lejeune: Camp Lejeune is a Marine Corps base that was established in 1941. The base has been pivotal in many of the military campaigns the US has been involved in, including World War II, the Korean War, and the Gulf War.
3. The Tuscarora War: The Tuscarora War was fought between 1711 and 1713, with the Tuscarora Indians battling against the British colonists. The war eventually ended with the Tuscarora being defeated and forced to move to reservations.
4. The Battle of Moore's Creek Bridge: The Battle of Moore's Creek Bridge was fought on February 27, 1776, near present-day Wilmington. The battle was fought between American patriots and Loyalists, with the patriots emerging victorious.
5. The Carolina Charter: The Carolina Charter was granted in 1663 by King Charles II, giving land in present-day North and South Carolina to eight loyal supporters of the king. This charter was an important event that shaped the history of the area.
6. Battle of Wilmington: The Battle of Wilmington was fought from February 11 to February 22 in 1865, near present-day Wilmington. The battle was fought between Union and Confederate soldiers, with the Union emerging victorious.
7. The Great Fire of 1901: The Great Fire of 1901 was a devastating fire that destroyed a large portion of downtown Jacksonville. The fire was started by a spark from a passing train and quickly spread, destroying over 140 buildings.
In conclusion, Jacksonville, NC has a rich history that has been shaped by events ranging from wars to fires. Understanding and appreciating the history of the area is essential to fully appreciate its beauty and significance.
- Tags: NC