Johnston, Rhode Island is a town with a rich and diverse history. From early settlements to industrialization, numerous significant events have occurred here. Here are 7 historical events that took place in or near Johnston, RI.
1. The Killingly Pond Massacre: In 1643, during King Philip's War, Native American warriors ambushed and killed a group of colonists who were traveling to Providence from Weybosset Hill. The massacre took place near present-day Route 6 in Johnston.
2. The Settlement of Johnston: The town of Johnston was officially established in 1759, named after Augustus Johnston, a colonial attorney general. Before that, the area was known as part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
3. The Brown and Sharpe Manufacturing Company: In the late 1800s, the Brown and Sharpe Manufacturing Company opened a factory that produced precision measuring tools. The company's innovations helped establish Rhode Island as a major industrial center.
4. The Rhode Island Agricultural Society Fair: In 1870, the Rhode Island Agricultural Society began holding an annual fair in Johnston. It became one of the largest and most popular events in the state, featuring livestock shows, parades, and carnival attractions. The fair continued until 1967.
5. The Great Hurricane of 1938: In September 1938, a powerful hurricane swept through New England, causing widespread destruction and claiming hundreds of lives. Johnston was one of the hardest-hit towns in the area, with numerous homes destroyed and many residents left homeless.
6. The Saint Rocco Feast: Since 1925, the Saint Rocco Feast has been an annual tradition in Johnston. The five-day festival celebrates the patron saint of sick and infirm with religious processions, food vendors, and carnival rides.
7. The Johnston Police Department Strike: In 1979, the entire Johnston police department went on strike over pay and working conditions. The National Guard was called in to maintain order and provide security for the town. The strike lasted for six weeks before a settlement was reached.
Johnston, Rhode Island has played a significant role in American history. From colonial settlements and Native American conflicts to industrial growth and labor disputes, the town's past is marked by a diverse range of events and experiences.
- Tags: RI