Jonesboro, Arkansas, is a city with a rich history, boasting many notable events that have taken place in or near the area. From significant battles during the Civil War to the birth of famous individuals such as Johnny Cash, the city has offered much to the world. In this article, we will look at seven of the most significant historical events that have taken place near Jonesboro, AR.
1. The Battle of Jonesboro - The Battle of Jonesboro was a decisive military engagement between Confederate and Union forces during the American Civil War. It took place on August 31 to September 1, 1864. The victory for the Union army was critical in securing Atlanta and led to the eventual fall of the Confederacy.
2. Crowley's Ridge - Crowley's Ridge is an elevated geological formation located in Northeast Arkansas. It runs for about 150 miles through the states. It is believed to have formed millions of years ago due to the movement of earthquakes and glaciers. Crowley's Ridge is known to have been a significant point of reference for Civil War battles in the area.
3. Johnny Cash - The legendary country musician, Johnny Cash, was born in nearby Kingsland, AR, in 1932. His family has a farm in Dyess, AR, where he spent most of his childhood years. The farm was later turned into a museum and National Historic Landmark.
4. The Jonesboro Tornado - On March 28, 2020, a powerful EF3 tornado touched down in Jonesboro, AR, causing extensive damage across the city. It destroyed homes, businesses, and schools, but miraculously, no one was killed.
5. The Delta Center Stage - The Delta Center Stage was an open-air theater built in Jonesboro during the 1960s. It was a popular destination for music concerts, stage productions, and film screenings. Although the open-air venue was destroyed in a tornado, it remains a significant cultural milestone in Northeast Arkansas.
6. The Memphis and Little Rock Railroad - The Memphis and Little Rock Railroad was a vital transportation link for Arkansas that ran through Jonesboro. It was responsible for bringing goods and supplies to the area during the Civil War.
7. The Main Street Historic District - The Main Street Historic District is a collection of buildings and homes in downtown Jonesboro that showcases some of the city's architectural history. These buildings date back to the early 1900s, featuring various styles, including Victorian, Italianate, and Classical Revival.
In conclusion, Jonesboro, AR, has a rich history that serves as a testament to its vibrant culture and the evolution of the surrounding region. From the Battle of Jonesboro to the birthplace of Johnny Cash, it is no surprise that Jonesboro is a popular destination for history buffs and tourists alike. These seven events are just the tip of the iceberg, and there are many more significant historical moments that make Jonesboro a fascinating place to visit.
- Tags: AR