Lakewood, Washington is a charming city situated on the banks of Lake Steilacoom in Pierce County. Since its inception, the city has witnessed various historical events that have shaped it into what it is today.
Let us take a closer look at seven such events:
1. Nisqually Earthquake - On February 28, 2001, a 6.8 magnitude earthquake struck the Pacific Northwest, including Lakewood. The earthquake caused severe damage to the city's infrastructure, including roads, buildings, and bridges.
2. Lewis and Clark Expedition - In 1805, the famous Lewis and Clark expedition passed through what is now Lakewood on their way to the Pacific Ocean. They camped on the banks of the Nisqually River, where they encountered the Nisqually Indian Tribe.
3. Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse - The Tacoma Narrows Bridge connected Lakewood to Tacoma and was completed in 1940. However, on November 7, 1940, the bridge collapsed due to strong winds, leading to major infrastructure damage.
4. McChord Field - In 1938, McChord Field, now known as Joint Base Lewis-McChord, was established just south of Lakewood. The base has played a significant role in American military history, including serving as a training site during World War II.
5. American Lake Veterans Affairs (VA) Hospital - The American Lake VA Hospital opened in 1924 as a tuberculosis sanatorium for veterans. Over the years, the hospital has expanded and now provides a range of medical services for veterans.
6. Western State Hospital - Founded in 1871, Western State Hospital is a psychiatric facility located in nearby Steilacoom. The hospital played a critical role in the development of modern psychiatric treatment techniques.
7. Fort Steilacoom - Established in 1849, Fort Steilacoom was one of the first military posts in the Pacific Northwest. The fort played a significant role in the clashes between Native American tribes and settlers in the region.
In conclusion, Lakewood has witnessed and been impacted by various historical events over the years, from natural disasters to military bases and institutions. These events have shaped the city into what it is today and continue to impact its trajectory into the future.
- Tags: WA