Lasalle, IL is a town located in the northern part of Illinois, known for its rich history and strategic location near the Illinois River. Here are 7 key historical events that have occurred near Lasalle, IL:
1. The discovery of coal: In 1673, when the French explorers Louis Jolliet and Jacques Marquette were traveling down the Illinois River, they discovered outcroppings of coal near present-day Utica. This discovery led to the development of mining in the area and helped fuel the growth of LaSalle and neighboring towns.
2. The Black Hawk War: In 1832, Chief Black Hawk and several Native American tribes launched an uprising against white settlers in Illinois. The conflict lasted for several months and resulted in many deaths on both sides.
3. The Illinois and Michigan Canal: Construction of the Illinois and Michigan Canal began in the 1830s, linking Chicago to the Illinois River near LaSalle. The canal opened in 1848 and transformed transportation and commerce in the region.
4. The Civil War: LaSalle County played a significant role during the Civil War, with many soldiers from the area enlisting and several battles occurring nearby. Notably, the Battle of Fort Donelson took place in nearby Tennessee in 1862, with many soldiers from LaSalle County participating.
5. The Great Chicago Fire: While not directly in Lasalle, the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 had a significant impact on the region. Many of the buildings that burned down were made of lumber harvested from the forests surrounding Lasalle.
6. Prohibition: LaSalle County was a center for bootlegging during Prohibition. The area was known for producing and distributing alcohol, and there were many notable raids and arrests made in the region during this time.
7. The Tornado Outbreak of 1967: On April 21, 1967, a massive tornado outbreak swept across the Midwest, causing significant damage in LaSalle and surrounding areas. Many homes and buildings were destroyed, and several people were killed.
These historical events have shaped the landscape and identity of Lasalle, IL and the surrounding region. By understanding these events and their impact, we are better able to appreciate the rich history of this area.
- Tags: IL