Lucas, Texas is a small town located in Collin County, just north of Dallas. Despite its size, the town has a rich history with several notable events taking place near its borders. Here are seven historical events that have taken place near Lucas, Texas.
1. Battle of Cedar Creek - During the Civil War, Confederate forces clashed with Union soldiers near Cedar Creek in Ellis County. The battle took place on October 13, 1864, and resulted in a Union victory. Today, visitors can visit the nearby Cedar Hill Battlefield to learn more about this historic event.
2. Bonnie and Clyde's Barrow Gang - Notorious gangsters Bonnie and Clyde frequented the Dallas area, and were responsible for several robberies and murders throughout the region. In 1934, the infamous duo was ambushed and killed near Gibsland, Louisiana, just over an hour's drive from Lucas.
3. The JFK Assassination - On November 22, 1963, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated while riding in a motorcade through Dallas. The tragedy shook the nation and the world, and is still the subject of intense debate and investigation today.
4. The Ice Bowl - One of the most famous NFL games of all time took place near Lucas in 1967. The Dallas Cowboys faced off against the Green Bay Packers in frigid conditions, with the temperature at kickoff hovering around -13 degrees Fahrenheit. The Packers won the game 21-17, and it has since become known as the "Ice Bowl."
5. Hurricane Harvey - In 2017, Hurricane Harvey made landfall in Texas, causing widespread devastation and flooding. While Lucas was not directly in the storm's path, the town and surrounding areas provided assistance and support to those affected by the disaster.
6. The Texas Revolution - The conflict between Texas and Mexico in the mid-19th century was a pivotal moment in the state's history. Several battles were fought near Lucas, including the Battle of Agua Dulce in 1836, which saw Texan forces defeat Mexican troops.
7. The Dallas Cowboys - While not technically an "event," the Dallas Cowboys have a long and storied history in the area. The team has won multiple Super Bowls and has been home to some of the most iconic players in NFL history, including Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Roger Staubach.
Overall, Lucas, Texas and the surrounding area has seen its fair share of historic moments. From battles and assassinations to sporting events and natural disasters, the town has been witness to some of the most significant events in American history.
- Tags: TX