Mandaree, North Dakota is a small town in McKenzie County with a rich history. This area has been home to several significant events that have shaped the region and influenced the course of American history. Here are seven monumental events that have taken place near Mandaree:
1. Fort Union Trading Post: The Fort Union Trading Post was established in 1828 and was an essential hub for the fur trade. Located about 40 miles east of Mandaree, this post played a vital role in the development of the western frontier.
2. The Battle of Killdeer Mountain: This was a battle that occurred on July 28, 1864, during the American Civil War. The Union Army fought a group of Sioux, Cheyenne, and Arapaho warriors at nearby Killdeer Mountain. The Union was victorious in this battle.
3. The Fargo-Mandan Railroad: The Fargo-Mandan Railroad was built in the 1800s, and it connected the east to the west. The railroad passed through Mandaree, making it possible for goods and services to be transported to the area.
4. The White Earth Reservation Oil Boom: In the early 1900s, oil was discovered on the White Earth Reservation. This resulted in a massive oil boom that lasted until the 1930s. The oil fields were in close proximity to Mandaree.
5. The Dakota Access Pipeline Protests: In 2016, the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) began. It was a 1,172-mile-long underground oil pipeline that was planned to pass through the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation near Mandaree. This sparked a massive protest movement against the construction of the pipeline.
6. The Mandaree Sun Dance: The Mandaree Sun Dance is an annual event that has been taking place for over 100 years. The indigenous community holds the ceremony to celebrate their culture and to pray for the well-being of their people.
7. The McKenzie County Fair: The McKenzie County Fair is one of the oldest fairs in North Dakota. It began in 1924, and it has been an annual event since then. The fair provides an opportunity for the community to come together to celebrate agriculture and the western way of life.
Mandaree has been the site of many significant historical events. These events have played a crucial role in shaping the region's history and culture, making it an essential area in North Dakota.
- Tags: ND