Missouri City, Missouri, is a small town with a rich history. The area has witnessed many significant historical events throughout its history. Here are seven such events that have taken place near Missouri City.
1. The Lewis and Clark Expedition: In 1804, Lewis and Clark and their team navigated the Missouri River and passed through the Missouri City area on their way to the West. The explorers made contact with the Osage Indians, who were the main inhabitants of the area at the time.
2. Battle of Westport: On October 23, 1864, the Union Army engaged the Confederate Army in the largest battle of the Civil War in Missouri. The conflict took place just south of Kansas City and resulted in a decisive victory for the Union army.
3. Jesse James Bank Robbery: One of the most infamous outlaws in American history, Jesse James, robbed the Clay County Savings Association bank in Liberty, Missouri, just 15 miles north of Missouri City on February 13, 1866. James and his gang fled with over $60,000.
4. The Cholera Epidemic of 1849: In 1849, a cholera outbreak ravaged the Missouri River Valley, including the Missouri City area. Hundreds of people died, and the epidemic left an indelible mark on the region.
5. Kansas City Stockyards: The Kansas City Stockyards, located just south of Missouri City, were established in 1871, becoming one of the major centers of the American livestock industry. The stockyards were a vital economic engine for the region and played a significant role in the development of Kansas City and the surrounding areas.
6. The Joplin Tornado: On May 22, 2011, an EF5 tornado hit the nearby town of Joplin, Missouri, killing 158 people and injuring over 1,000. The Missouri City area was affected by the storm, with many residents coming together to assist with the recovery effort.
7. The Incorporation of Missouri City: In 1956, the town of Missouri City officially incorporated, becoming a city of the third class. Today, the city is home to over 5,000 residents and continues to be an integral part of the region's history and culture.
In conclusion, Missouri City, Missouri, has been the site of many significant historical events. From the Lewis and Clark Expedition to the Jesse James Bank Robbery to the incorporation of the city itself, the area's history is rich and varied, with echoes of the past still visible today.
- Tags: MO