Monterey, California is a city rich in history, with many significant events taking place in or near its borders over the centuries. From Native American tribes to Spanish explorers, from gold rush pioneers to military bases, Monterey has seen it all. Here are seven historical events that occurred in or near Monterey, CA:
1. The Ohlone People - The Ohlone people were the first known inhabitants of Monterey, and their presence in the area dates back to at least 5500 BCE. The Ohlone were skilled hunters, fishermen, and farmers who lived in small villages throughout the area.
2. Spanish Exploration - Monterey was first visited by Spanish explorer Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo in 1542. The Spanish established a fort in Monterey in 1770 and made it the capital of Alta California. It was at this time that the famous missionary Junipero Serra arrived to found several missions in the area.
3. California Gold Rush - In 1848, gold was discovered in California, and this event had a significant impact on Monterey. The city became an important shipping port for gold miners, and many prospectors passed through Monterey on their way to the gold fields.
4. Cannery Row - Cannery Row is a famous street in Monterey that was home to many sardine canning factories in the early 1900s. The popularity of canned sardines waned in the mid-20th century, and today the row is a bustling tourist destination.
5. Monterey Pop Festival - In 1967, the Monterey Pop Festival was held in Monterey. This was one of the first large-scale music festivals in the United States and featured performances by famous musicians such as Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and The Who.
6. Fort Ord - Fort Ord was a military base located just north of Monterey that was in operation from 1917 to 1994. The base was a significant training center during both World War II and the Vietnam War.
7. John Steinbeck - John Steinbeck was a famous American author who lived in Monterey for much of his life. Many of his works, such as Cannery Row and East of Eden, were inspired by the people and places of Monterey.
In conclusion, Monterey, California, has a rich history that spans thousands of years. From the Ohlone people to the Spanish explorers to the California Gold Rush to the famous pop festival, there are many significant events that have taken place in or near Monterey. Today, the city continues to honor its past while embracing its future as a thriving tourist destination.
- Tags: CA