Morton Grove is a suburban village located in Cook County, Illinois. The village is rich in history, having witnessed several historical events that have shaped the region’s past. Here are some of the significant events that have taken place in and around Morton Grove:
1. The first settlers of the area: The first European settlers of the Morton Grove region were French fur trappers in the late 1700s. They traded animal pelts with Native American tribes that inhabited the region.
2. Construction of the Chicago and Milwaukee Railroad: In 1854, the Chicago and Milwaukee Railroad was constructed, connecting downtown Chicago and Milwaukee. The railroad helped bring new residents to the area, making it easier for people to commute to and from Chicago.
3. The Civil War: During the Civil War, Morton Grove played a significant role in supplying soldiers to the Union Army. Morton Grove residents enlisted in large numbers and fought in several battles, including the Battle of Gettysburg.
4. The 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition: The World's Columbian Exposition was a world's fair held in Chicago in 1893 to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World. It attracted millions of visitors, and the Morton Grove area was a popular spot for tourists to stay.
5. The Great Depression: During the Great Depression, Morton Grove, like many other cities and towns, suffered a severe economic downturn. However, the village managed to recover quickly, thanks to the presence of several large employers.
6. The Des Plaines River flood of 1986: The Des Plaines River flood of 1986 was one of the worst natural disasters in Morton Grove's history. Several residents were forced to evacuate their homes, and the flood caused significant damage to buildings and infrastructure in the area.
7. The formation of the Morton Grove Park District: In the 1950s, the Morton Grove Park District was formed to provide recreational activities and programs for residents. Since then, the Park District has expanded, offering a wide range of activities to people of all ages.
In conclusion, Morton Grove has a rich history, and these significant events are just a few examples of how the village has been shaped over the years. And as Morton Grove continues to grow and evolve, it remains a community proud of its past and excited about its future.
- Tags: IL