Nobleboro, Maine is known for its serene and natural environment, but the history that surrounds it is equally fascinating. Here are 7 historical events that have taken place near Nobleboro.
1. The Wiscasset Bombardment: During the American Revolution, the British Army established a naval base in Wiscasset, a neighboring town of Nobleboro. In 1775, an American fleet led by Captain Jeremiah O'Brien attacked the British warship Margareta and captured it. This event is popularly referred to as the Wiscasset Bombardment.
2. The Battle of Monmouth: The Battle of Monmouth was fought on June 28, 1778, in Monmouth, New Jersey, which is about 400 miles away from Nobleboro. However, the battle is notable because a local farm boy, Daniel Collins, rode over nearly 500 miles to deliver word of the battle and received a reward of $50 for his ride.
3. The Great Fires of 1947: The Great Fires of 1947 were a series of forest fires that raged across the state of Maine. Over 200,000 acres of forests were destroyed, and thirteen lives were lost in the fires. The fires and their aftermath have had a lasting effect on the state's forestry industry.
4. The 1875 Nobleboro Murder: The Nobleboro Murder occurred in 1875 when a young woman named Minnie Hare was found murdered in her home. The murder suspect was Minnie's brother, Eben Hare, who was later convicted and sentenced to life in prison.
5. The Great Ice Storm of 1998: In January 1998, Maine experienced one of its most severe ice storms in history. The ice storm caused widespread power outages, and the majority of Maine's residents were without power for weeks. The storm caused over $200 million in damages to the state.
6. The Damariscotta Mills Fish Ladder: The Damariscotta Mills Fish Ladder is a historical landmark located in Nobleboro. The fish ladder was built in the 1800s to allow fish to pass through Damariscotta Mills, which was once a thriving fishing village. The fish ladder is still in operation today and is a popular tourist attraction in the area.
7. The Launch of USS Maine: In 1895, the USS Maine was launched from the Bath Iron Works shipyard in Bath, Maine. The ship famously sank in Havana Harbor, Cuba, in 1898, which led to the Spanish-American War. The launch of the USS Maine is a significant event in Maine's maritime history.
Overall, Nobleboro, Maine, and its surroundings have a rich history that has contributed to the development of the state and the country. Whether it's the Wiscasset Bombardment, the Great Fires of 1947, or the Damariscotta Mills Fish Ladder, there is a lot to discover and learn about the area.
- Tags: ME