North Canton, Ohio has a rich history, with many significant events taking place in and around the city. From the earliest Native American settlements to the founding of one of the largest companies in the world, North Canton has seen it all. Here are seven historical events that have taken place near North Canton, Ohio.
1. The Treaty of Greenville: In 1795, the Treaty of Greenville was signed ending the Northwest Indian War. The treaty ceded a large portion of Ohio to the United States and opened up the territory to settlement. Today, a replica of the treaty can be found at the Hoover Historical Center in North Canton.
2. The founding of Canton: In 1805, Canton, Ohio was founded just five miles west of what is now North Canton. At the time, Canton was a small village with just a few hundred inhabitants. Today, it is the county seat of Stark County and home to over 70,000 people.
3. The Ohio and Erie Canal: In the early 19th century, the Ohio and Erie Canal was built connecting Cleveland to Portsmouth, Ohio. The canal ran through what is now North Canton, and it brought a boom to the area with increased trade and transportation. Today, the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath Trail runs through the city, providing recreational opportunities for residents and visitors.
4. The Hoover Company: In 1908, the Hoover Company was founded in North Canton. The company became one of the largest manufacturers of vacuum cleaners in the world, employing thousands of people in the area. Today, the Hoover Historical Center tells the story of the company's early days and its impact on the community.
5. The Timken Company: In 1899, the Timken Company was founded in Canton. The company became a major manufacturer of bearings, and its success helped to fuel the growth of the area's steel industry. Today, the Timken Museum of Art showcases the company's philanthropic endeavors and its collection of fine art.
6. The Pro Football Hall of Fame: In 1963, the Pro Football Hall of Fame opened just three miles from North Canton. The museum is dedicated to the history of professional football and honors the sport's greatest players and coaches. The annual Hall of Fame Game is played at nearby Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium.
7. The Wright Brothers' practice flights: In 1910, the Wright Brothers used a field near what is now the Akron-Canton Airport to practice their flying. The field was just a few miles from North Canton, and the area became a hub of aviation activity in the early 20th century. Today, the Akron-Canton Airport serves over 1.5 million passengers each year.
North Canton, Ohio has a rich and diverse history, with events that have shaped the city and the region. From the signing of the Treaty of Greenville to the founding of world-renowned companies, the area has played an important role in American history. Today, residents and visitors alike can learn about and experience the city's fascinating past.
- Tags: OH