Occidental, California is a small town located in Sonoma County. While it may be small, it has been the site of some significant historical events over the past century. Here are seven historical events that have taken place near Occidental, California:
1. The Gold Rush. Occidental was founded in 1876, just a few years after the Gold Rush that brought many settlers to California. While the town itself may not have had any gold mines, the surrounding area was home to several profitable mines, making the town an important commercial center in the region.
2. The 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. The earthquake that struck San Francisco in 1906 was felt throughout the region, including in Occidental. While the town itself was largely unharmed, many of the surrounding areas suffered significant damage.
3. The founding of the Bohemian Grove. The Bohemian Grove is a private club for men founded in 1872 that hosts an annual retreat in the nearby woods. Many prominent businessmen and politicians have been members of the Grove over the years, making it a significant piece of local history.
4. The establishment of Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve. In 1917, Colonel James Armstrong donated a large portion of his land to the state of California to be used as a park. Today, the Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve is a popular tourist destination known for its towering redwood trees.
5. The formation of the Guerneville School District. Occidental is located just a few miles from Guerneville, which was the site of the founding of the Guerneville School District in 1875. The district still serves students in the area today.
6. The construction of the Russian River Dam. In the 1940s, the Russian River Dam was constructed just a few miles from Occidental. The dam helps control flooding in the area and serves as a source of hydroelectric power.
7. The founding of the Occidental Arts and Ecology Center. The Occidental Arts and Ecology Center was founded in 1994 as a place to promote sustainable living, organic farming, and environmental activism. The center has become a hub for progressive ideas and attracts visitors from around the world.
In conclusion, while Occidental may be a small town, it has been the site of many significant historical events over the past century. From the Gold Rush to the present-day focus on sustainability and environmentalism, the town has played an important role in California's history.
- Tags: CA