Olney, TX is a small town located in North Central Texas. Despite its small size, this town has a rich history that dates back centuries. From Native American settlements to the discovery of oil, there are many historical events that have taken place near Olney. In this article, we will explore seven of these events.
1. The Battle of the Pease River - In 1860, a group of Kiowa and Comanche warriors raided a settlement near Olney, killing several settlers and taking several captive. A group of Texas Rangers, led by Captain Sul Ross, pursued the fleeing warriors and engaged them in a battle along the Pease River. The rangers were able to rescue the captives and kill several of the warriors, ending the raid.
2. The establishment of Fort Belknap - In 1851, the United States Army established Fort Belknap near Olney to protect settlers from Native American raids. The fort served as a base for military operations in the region until it was abandoned in 1859.
3. The discovery of oil - In 1917, the first oil well was drilled near Olney, leading to the development of the oil industry in the region. The discovery transformed the local economy and attracted many workers, leading to a population boom in the town.
4. The Olney Creek Baptist Association - In 1872, the Olney Creek Baptist Association was formed in Olney. This association was one of the first established in the region and played a significant role in promoting Baptist beliefs and practices in North Central Texas.
5. The establishment of Olney College - In 1904, Olney College was established in the town as a Baptist-affiliated institution of higher learning. The college remained in operation for several decades before closing in the 1950s.
6. The Olney-Seymour tornado outbreak - In 1979, a major tornado outbreak struck North Central Texas, causing significant damage and loss of life. Olney was one of the towns affected by the storms, with several buildings destroyed and several people killed.
7. The establishment of Olney Cemetery - The Olney Cemetery was established in the early 20th century and contains the graves of many notable individuals from the area, including several veterans of the Civil War and World War II.
Overall, Olney, TX has a rich history that spans centuries. From Native American settlements to the discovery of oil, the town has been shaped by many significant events over the years. Today, Olney continues to thrive as a small town with a strong sense of community and a deep respect for its past.
- Tags: TX