Peapack, New Jersey, is a small town located in Somerset County. Despite its size, Peapack has been the site of several important historical events throughout its history. Below, we'll take a closer look at seven historical events that have taken place near Peapack:
1. Washington's Encampment - During the Revolutionary War, General George Washington and his troops camped in the area that is now known as Washington Valley Park. The park is located just a few miles from Peapack and offers a glimpse into some of the early history of the United States.
2. The Revolutionary War Battle of Bound Brook - Just a few miles to the south of Peapack, the Battle of Bound Brook was fought in 1777. This was a small but significant skirmish between the Continental Army and the British forces.
3. The Lindbergh Kidnapping - One of the most infamous crimes in American history took place just a few miles from Peapack. In 1932, Charles Lindbergh's son was kidnapped from the family's home in nearby Hopewell. The crime shocked the nation and led to the capture and trial of Bruno Hauptmann.
4. The Battle of Basking Ridge - During the American Revolutionary War, the town of Basking Ridge was the site of a key battle between American and British forces in 1777. The battle helped to turn the tide of the war and was one of the first major victories for the Continental Army.
5. The Great Depression - Like many towns across the country, Peapack was hit hard by the Great Depression in the 1930s. Many residents struggled to find work and make ends meet during this difficult time.
6. The 9/11 Attacks - Although it's located more than 30 miles away from Peapack, the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, had a profound impact on the town and the surrounding area. Many residents knew people who were killed in the attacks or were personally affected by them in some way.
7. The Revolutionary War Battle of Monmouth - Another key battle in the American Revolutionary War took place just a few miles from Peapack in 1778. The Battle of Monmouth was one of the largest battles of the war, with tens of thousands of soldiers involved on both sides.
Historical events like these help to shape the identity of a town and the people who live there. They provide a window into the past and help us understand the struggles and triumphs that came before us. For anyone interested in history, Peapack and the surrounding area offer plenty of fascinating stories to explore.
- Tags: NJ