Pedricktown, New Jersey is a small town located in Salem County. While it may be small, it has seen its fair share of historical events throughout the years. Here are 7 of the most notable events that took place near Pedricktown, NJ:
1. Battle of Red Bank - In 1777, during the Revolutionary War, a battle was fought in Red Bank, just 15 minutes from Pedricktown. This battle saw American troops fend off a Hessian attack, resulting in a significant victory for the American army.
2. Surrender of Fort Mercer - Later that same year, another significant battle took place in which American troops surrendered Fort Mercer to the British. This battle took place just a few miles away from Pedricktown and was a significant turning point in the war.
3. Underground Railroad - The Underground Railroad was an extensive network of safe houses and secret routes that were used by slaves to escape to freedom. Pedricktown was a key stopping point on this route, and many fugitive slaves passed through the area.
4. First Railroad - In 1832, the first railroad in New Jersey was built between Salem and Woodstown. This railroad passed directly through Pedricktown and was a significant development for transportation in the region.
5. Delaware Memorial Bridge - The Delaware Memorial Bridge opened in 1951 and connects New Jersey to Delaware. The bridge is visible from Pedricktown and was a major development for transportation and commerce in the area.
6. Salem Nuclear Power Plant - The Salem Nuclear Power Plant is located just south of Pedricktown and began operations in 1977. The plant provides electricity to millions of people in the region and has been a significant factor in the local economy.
7. Hurricane Sandy - In 2012, Hurricane Sandy caused significant damage to the Pedricktown area. The storm caused widespread flooding and power outages, and many residents were displaced from their homes. The community banded together to support those affected by the storm and worked to rebuild in the months that followed.
These are just a few of the historical events that have taken place near Pedricktown, NJ. The area has a rich history and continues to play a significant role in the region's development and growth.
- Tags: NJ