Princess Anne, Maryland is a small town located in Somerset County. Despite its size, it is rich in history, having been founded in 1733. Over the years, many significant events have taken place in and around Princess Anne. Here are seven of these unique events:
1. Freedom Fighters Monument: In the early 1800s, Somerset County was home to several abolitionists and people who supported the Underground Railroad. In the 21st century, the county erected the Freedom Fighters Monument to honor these individuals who helped African Americans escape slavery.
2. Somerset County Courthouse: The Somerset County Courthouse is a historic building that was built in 1838. It has been the site of several significant events, including speeches by two Presidents, Abraham Lincoln, and Franklin D. Roosevelt.
3. St. Andrew's Episcopal Church: St. Andrew's Episcopal Church is the oldest church in Princess Anne, built in 1756. It once served as a place of refuge for Union soldiers during the Civil War.
4. Teackle Mansion: The Teackle Mansion, built-in 1802, was a prominent residence in the region, known for its stunning architecture and size. The mansion served as the headquarters for the Confederate army during the Civil War.
5. Tar Church Battlefield: The Tar Church Battlefield was the site of a significant battle during the Revolutionary War. It was an event where British troops were defeated, allowing the American forces to gain control of the Chesapeake Bay.
6. Manokin Presbyterian Church: Another historic site in Princess Anne is the Manokin Presbyterian Church. The church was founded in 1661 and is the oldest Presbyterian church in the country. It was a place where people gathered to worship, and it played a vital role in the formation of colonial Maryland.
7. Home of Perry W. Benson: Perry W. Benson's home was a prominent spot during the early 1920s. Benson was an advocate for the civil rights movement and the first African American to serve as the mayor of Princess Anne.
Princess Anne, Maryland is a place filled with history and significance. The town holds a special place in the legacy of the United States, and it continues to thrive as a testament to the events that have taken place there. These seven significant historical events are just a few examples of the rich history that surrounds Princess Anne's community and makes it an important place in American history.
- Tags: MD