Scott Depot is a small unincorporated community located in Putnam County, West Virginia. The town has a rich history and has witnessed many significant events that have had an impact on not just the region but the entire country. Here are seven historical events that have taken place near Scott Depot, WV.
1. The Battle of Scary Creek: On July 17, 1861, the Union and Confederate forces clashed near the Scary Creek in Putnam County. The battle was part of the larger strategy to control the Kanawha River and secure the region's resources. The Union emerged victorious in this battle, which boosted their morale and helped them to maintain control over the Kanawha Valley.
2. The creation of the West Virginia state: On June 20, 1863, the state of West Virginia was officially created as a result of the Civil War. The state's formation was crucial to the Union's strategy, as it allowed them to cut off supplies to the Confederates and control the Ohio and Kanawha Rivers. Many residents of Scott Depot played a crucial role in the creation of the state.
3. The construction of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad: The Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad was a major transportation link that connected the East Coast with the Midwest. The railroad was constructed in the late 19th century and was a crucial factor in the growth of the region's economy. The railroad passed through Scott Depot and helped to connect the town with the rest of the country.
4. The Great Depression: The Great Depression was an economic crisis that occurred in the 1930s and had a significant impact on the entire country. Many people in Scott Depot struggled to find work and support their families during this time. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) provided relief to the town by building public projects such as roads and bridges.
5. The Kanawha River Plane Crash: On November 14, 1970, a commercial plane crashed into the Kanawha River near the town of Scott Depot. The crash killed all 75 passengers and crew onboard, making it one of the worst aviation disasters in U.S. history. The town played a crucial role in the search and recovery efforts.
6. The creation of the Kanawha State Forest: The Kanawha State Forest was created in 1937 to preserve the region's natural environment and provide recreational opportunities for residents. The forest is located near Scott Depot and attracts thousands of visitors each year.
7. The opening of the WV Regional Jail and Correctional Facility: In 1993, the WV Regional Jail and Correctional Facility opened near Scott Depot. The facility has helped to reduce overcrowding in the state's prison system and provides a modern, secure environment for inmates.
In conclusion, Scott Depot's history is rich and varied, with events that have made significant contributions to the region's development. From battles during the Civil War to the construction of important transportation links like the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad, Scott Depot has played a crucial role in shaping the country's history.
- Tags: WV