Shelby, Ohio, is a small town located in Richland County. While this town may not be the most well-known in the state of Ohio, it is certainly not short of interesting historical events that have taken place in or near this town. Here are seven notable historical events that have occurred near Shelby, Ohio:
1. The Battle of Shelbyville - During the American Civil War the town of Shelbyville, Ohio became an important point of interest for Confederate forces who hoped to advance into Northern territory. In July of 1863, Union forces were able to successfully fend off the Confederate advance and hold onto the territory in and around Shelbyville.
2. Ohio State Reformatory - Located in the city of Mansfield, Ohio, the Ohio State Reformatory was opened in 1896 as a form of punishment for juveniles who committed minor crimes. The reformatory was in operation until 1990 and has since been used as a filming location for several movies and TV shows, including The Shawshank Redemption.
3. The Shelby County Fair - The Shelby County Fair has been running for over 150 years and is one of the oldest county fairs in the state of Ohio. The fair offers a variety of events, including 4H shows, a demolition derby, and live music performances.
4. The Secret Stash of Teddy Bears - In 2005, a group of burglars broke into a local toy store in nearby Ashland, Ohio, and stole over 300 teddy bears. The stuffed animals were eventually recovered in a secret stash in a nearby field.
5. Discovery of Rare Fossil - In 1998, a fossilized trilobite was discovered in a quarry located just outside of Shelby, Ohio. The fossil was later identified as a new species and named after the town it was found in, the Paralejurus Shelbyi.
6. Shelby Depot - The Shelby Depot was built in 1881 and served as a major railroad station for the town of Shelby. The depot has since been converted into a museum showcasing the history of the town's railroads.
7. The Great Flood of 1913 - In March of 1913, heavy rainfall led to massive flooding throughout Ohio, including the town of Shelby. The flood caused extensive damage to homes and businesses and led to the deaths of over 400 individuals statewide.
In conclusion, Shelby, Ohio, may be a small town, but it has certainly seen its fair share of historical events. From major battles to the discovery of rare fossils, the town's history is rich and varied. These seven events only scratch the surface of the many fascinating stories that have taken place in and around Shelby, Ohio.
- Tags: OH