St. Charles, Missouri is a city that is full of rich history. Over the years, the city has been a home to many important events that have shaped the region and the nation. Here are seven historic events that have taken place near St. Charles, MO:
1. Lewis and Clark Expedition Arrival – One of the most important expeditions in US history is the Lewis and Clark expedition. St. Charles was the first stop on their journey, and the city has a monument to commemorate the event.
2. Missouri Statehood – St. Charles was the first capital of Missouri, and it is the birthplace of the state’s constitution, which was drafted in 1820.
3. Civil War Battles – St. Charles witnessed a number of battles during the Civil War. Union forces under General John Pope and Confederate forces under General Sterling Price clashed in St. Charles and the surrounding region in 1861 and 1864.
4. First American Female Newspaper Publisher – St. Charles was the home of Eliza Mills, who founded the Missouri Intelligencer in 1821. Mills was the first American female newspaper publisher.
5. Political Conventions – St. Charles has played host to several major political conventions over the years. Perhaps the most significant was the 1856 Republican Party convention, which nominated John C. Fremont for president.
6. Katy Trail – Once a major railway line, the Katy Trail is now a popular bicycle and hiking trail that stretches over 200 miles across Missouri. The trail passes through St. Charles, and it is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
7. Boone's Lick Road – Daniel Boone and his family established a settlement in Missouri in 1799. The town was named for Boone's son, Nathan Boone, and it was known as Boone's Lick for the salt that was mined there. The Boone's Lick Road, which ran through St. Charles, became a major trade route in the early 1800s.
These historic events are just a few of the many that have taken place near St. Charles, MO. The city's rich history is evident in its architecture, monuments, and museums, which provide visitors with a glimpse into Missouri's fascinating past. With its blend of natural beauty and cultural heritage, St. Charles is a destination that has something for everyone.
7 Pieces Of History Near St Charles, MO
---Learn Every Day: MO Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history mo To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: MO
← Older Post Newer Post →