Tolleson, Arizona is a small town located just outside of Phoenix. Despite its size, Tolleson has been the site of many important historical events over the years. Here are seven events that have taken place near Tolleson, AZ that have helped shape the history of the region.
1. The founding of Tolleson – Tolleson was founded in 1912 by W.G. Tolleson, who was an early pioneer in the area. He named the town after himself and it quickly became a hub for agriculture and commerce.
2. The construction of the Southern Pacific Railroad – In 1924, the Southern Pacific Railroad built a line through Tolleson, which helped connect the town to other major cities in Arizona and beyond. This helped boost the local economy and spurred development in the area.
3. The Japanese internment camps – During World War II, the US government rounded up Japanese Americans and forced them into internment camps. One of these camps was located just outside of Tolleson, and many Japanese Americans were held there until the end of the war.
4. The establishment of Luke Air Force Base – Luke Air Force Base was established just south of Tolleson in 1941 as a training center for pilots during World War II. It remains an important military installation to this day.
5. The Gila River Indian Community – The Gila River Indian Community is a Native American tribe that has lived in the area for centuries. Today, the tribe's reservation spans over 372,000 acres and includes parts of Tolleson.
6. The development of the asphalt industry – Tolleson was once home to several major asphalt manufacturing companies, including the Arizona Asphalt Company and the Arizona Bituminous Paving Company. These companies helped to build many of the roads and highways in the region.
7. The growth of the dairy industry – Tolleson was once home to several large dairy farms, including the Shamrock Dairy and the T&K Dairy. The dairy industry was a major part of the local economy for many years, and many of the farms still exist today.
These are just a few of the historical events that have taken place near Tolleson, AZ. Together, they help tell the story of the town's rich and complex history, and of the many people who have lived and worked there over the years. As Tolleson continues to grow and change, these events will continue to be an important part of its identity and legacy.
- Tags: AZ