Walton is a small town located in Delaware County, New York. Despite its small size, the town has played an important role in the history of the area. Here are 7 historical events that have taken place near Walton, NY.
1. The Battle of Minisink: In 1779, a battle was fought between American militia and British loyalists near Minisink, just south of Walton. The battle, which was one of the early skirmishes of the American Revolution, resulted in a victory for the loyalists.
2. The Erie Railroad: In the mid-19th century, the Erie Railroad opened a line through the area, linking New York City with the Great Lakes. This brought economic opportunities to Walton, as it became an important hub for shipping goods.
3. The Anti-Rent War: In the 1840s and 1850s, farmers in the region were involved in a rebellion against wealthy landowners who charged high rents. The conflict came to a head in 1845, when a sheriff was killed during an attempt to evict a tenant. The rebellion eventually led to changes in New York state laws and a reduction in land rent.
4. The Civil War: Many men from Walton and the surrounding area served in the Union Army during the Civil War. The town also played a role in the Underground Railroad, which helped escaped slaves reach freedom in Canada.
5. The Great Flood of 1865: In 1865, a major flood swept through the town, causing extensive damage to homes, businesses, and infrastructure. It took years for the town to fully recover.
6. The Women's Suffrage Movement: In the early 20th century, women in New York state were fighting for the right to vote. Walton was home to many suffrage activists, including Susan B. Anthony, who visited the town in 1894 to speak on the issue.
7. The Delaware County Fair: For over 100 years, the Delaware County Fair has been held annually in Walton. The fair has long been a popular event for locals and visitors alike, showcasing agriculture, livestock, and entertainment.
In conclusion, Walton has seen its fair share of historical events. From battles and rebellions to floods and fairs, the town has played an important role in the history of the area. These events have shaped the town's character and helped to make it the vibrant community it is today.
- Tags: NY