Westford, MA is a town in Middlesex County, Massachusetts. This quaint town has a rich and vibrant history, with several historical events that have taken place in and around the area over the years. From battles to inventions, here are seven historical events that have taken place near Westford, MA:
1. The Battle of Lexington and Concord: On April 19, 1775, British troops marched from Boston to Concord in an attempt to seize arms and ammunition from the colonists. The Minutemen of Westford, along with colonists from other towns, assembled a militia to fight against the British. This battle marked the beginning of the American Revolution.
2. The invention of the telephone: Alexander Graham Bell was experimenting with his invention of the telephone in 1877 in Lowell, which is about 12 miles from Westford. Bell made a phone call from Lowell to Boston, which was the first long-distance phone call in history.
3. The Westford Knight: In the 19th century, a carving of a knight was discovered on a ledge in Westford. The origins and purpose of the carving remain a mystery, and it has become a local attraction and source of exploration for curious visitors.
4. The Underground Railroad: Westford was a stop on the Underground Railroad, a network of secret routes and safe houses used by slaves to escape to freedom. Many abolitionists, including William Lloyd Garrison, visited Westford to speak out against slavery.
5. The Great Fire of 1872: On July 10, 1872, a major fire destroyed many of the downtown buildings in nearby Boston. Westford residents, along with others from the region, assisted in the firefighting efforts.
6. The Industrial Revolution: In the mid-19th century, Westford was a thriving center of industry. Textile mills and shoe factories were common, and many workers lived and worked in the town.
7. The Boston Marathon bombing: On April 15, 2013, two bombs were detonated near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. Westford resident Krystle Campbell was one of the three people killed in the attack.
Westford, MA is a town with a rich history that stretches back centuries. From battles to inventions, this small town has played a significant role in the history of the United States. Whether you are a history buff or simply looking for a beautiful place to explore, Westford is a must-visit destination.
- Tags: MA