Wheaton, Minnesota is a small town that’s rich in history. Throughout the years, there have been several historical events that have taken place in and around this charming community. Here are seven of these events that have left a lasting impact on the area and its people.
1. The founding of Wheaton: The town of Wheaton was founded in 1879 by John R. Wheaton, who decided to establish a settlement on the shores of the Mustinka River. He later sold part of his land to the Great Northern Railroad, which further spurred the town’s growth.
2. The arrival of Norwegian immigrants: Many Norwegian immigrants settled in the area near Wheaton in the late 1800s and early 1900s. They brought their culture and traditions with them, and many of their descendants still live in the area today.
3. The birth of “The Big Stone Colony”: In the early 1900s, a group of Russian immigrants settled in the area south of Wheaton, and became known as “The Big Stone Colony”. They established a communal way of life and were known for their successful farming techniques.
4. The construction of Highway 75: In the 1920s, Highway 75 was built through Wheaton and became a major transportation route between the Canadian border and the Twin Cities. This helped to increase the town’s population and economic growth.
5. The development of the Wheaton Regional Water Treatment Plant: In the 1970s, the construction of the Wheaton Regional Water Treatment Plant was a significant event for the town. It provided clean water to the community and helped to attract new businesses to the area.
6. The tornado of 2000: On June 17, 2000, a tornado tore through Wheaton and caused significant damage to the town. Many homes and businesses were destroyed, but the community came together to rebuild and recover.
7. The completion of the wetland restoration project: In recent years, a wetland restoration project was completed near Wheaton, which helped to preserve the natural habitat and wildlife in the area. This project was a collaborative effort between the community, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations.
In conclusion, Wheaton, Minnesota is a town with a rich history and a deep sense of community. From its founding to recent restoration projects, the town has experienced several significant historical events that have shaped its identity and contributed to its growth. These events are a testament to the resilience and strength of Wheaton and its people.
- Tags: MN