Located in Gloucester County, New Jersey, Woodbury is a small city with a rich historical heritage that is steeped in American history. It has witnessed some of the most pivotal events in the country's past. Below are seven major historical events that have taken place near Woodbury.
1. The Battle of Red Bank - (October 22, 1777) The Battle of Red Bank was one of the most pivotal events of the Revolutionary War. It was fought between the Americans and the Hessian forces. The battle marked a significant victory for the American forces, which managed to repel the Hessians and secure the Delaware River.
2. The Camden and Amboy Railroad Strike- (June 21- July 1, 1835) The Camden and Amboy Railroad Strike was one of the earliest known labor strikes in the United States. The strike was organized by workers who were demanding better wages and work conditions.
3. The Underground Railroad- (Circa 1820-1865) The Underground Railroad was a network of secret routes and safe houses that were used by slaves to escape from the South to the North. Woodbury was a critical stop on this route, and it facilitated many slaves in their journey to freedom.
4. Establishment of Gloucester County- (May 26, 1686) Gloucester County was established on May 26, 1686, after being separated from Burlington County. Gloucester County was initially the largest county in the state, and served as the commercial, educational, and cultural center of the region.
5. The Battle of Gloucester- (1777) The Battle of Gloucester was another significant battle fought in the Revolutionary War. It was a clash between the British forces and the Continental Army. The battle ended in a draw, but the victory was huge for the Continental Army, as it helped boost morale.
6. The Glass Industry- (1800s- early 1900s) Woodbury was known for its thriving glass industry which started in the early 1800s. The industry generated significant revenue for the town and attracted many skilled artisans and entrepreneurs.
7. The First Woolworth Five-and-Ten - (1879) Woodbury is home to the first ever Woolworth's Five-and-Ten, which opened in 1879. The store was a significant milestone in American retail history, and it paved the way for the proliferation of the Five-and-Ten stores across the country.
In conclusion, Woodbury, NJ has had a long and illustrious history that epitomizes the struggle for freedom, independence, and prosperity. From its significance in the Revolutionary War, the Glass industry and the inception of the Woolworth's Five-and-Ten stores, Woodbury remains a crucial historical site that is worth exploring.
- Tags: NJ