1. In 1853, the Rhode Island State House was completed. The building was designed by architect and Rhode Island native, Thomas Tefft. It is one of the largest self-supporting marble domes in the world.
2. On April 11, 1715, the colonial government of Rhode Island passed a law prohibiting African and Native American slaves from obtaining firearms or gunpowder.
3. In 1906, the first ever professional basketball game was played in Rhode Island between the New York Celtics and the Pawtucketville Athletic Club. The Celtics won 17-11.
4. On April 11, 1935, the Rhode Island State Police was established by an act of the Rhode Island General Assembly. The first academy class consisted of 60 recruits.
5. In 1887, the first electric trolley system in Rhode Island was inaugurated in Providence. The trolley traveled from downtown Providence to Pawtucket and would eventually expand to other cities in Rhode Island.
5 Fun Facts About April 11 In Rhode Island History
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →