1. On April 14, 1887, a devastating fire broke out in the mining town of Leadville. Over 100 buildings were destroyed and two people lost their lives in the blaze.
2. The first recorded game of hockey played in Colorado took place on April 14, 1901. The teams involved were the Denver Athletic Club and a squad from the Colorado School of Mines.
3. Colorado native and former MLB pitcher Roy Halladay threw the first no-hitter of his career on April 14, 2004. He was pitching for the Toronto Blue Jays against the Detroit Tigers.
4. The Denver Broncos traded Pro Bowl running back Clinton Portis to the Washington Redskins on April 14, 2004 in exchange for cornerback Champ Bailey and a draft pick. Bailey went on to become one of the greatest players in Broncos history.
5. Denver's iconic Brown Palace Hotel opened its doors for the first time on April 14, 1892. The hotel has hosted numerous presidents, celebrities, and other notable figures over the years.
- Tags: CO